Teen murdered musician with ‘truly fearsome’ sword in horror high street attack

Teen murdered musician with ‘truly fearsome’ sword in horror high street attack

A teenager who murdered a promising musician with a “fearsome weapon” in an “out of the blue” attack has been jailed for life.

Keany Kissingou-Mabiala, 20, was minding his own business when Mazin Abdelmonim, 19, plunged a sword into his chest – twice.

The victim had been on the phone to his bank in Nottingham city centre when he was attacked and killed.

Abdelmonim then fled the area but his mobile phone was recovered from the scene and he was tracked to a flat in the city.

He denied murder but was found guilty by a jury and was jailed for life with a minimum of 20 years on Friday.

Detectives said that Keany – whose songs have been played tens of thousands of times on YouTube – was targeted “out of the blue”.

His music had gained popularity locally and he had “his whole life ahead of him”, it was said.

DI Steve Wragg, of Nottinghamshire Police, added: “He had a promising music career, he had dreams and aspirations.

“They were taken away from him when Abdelmonim attacked him out of the blue using a truly fearsome weapon.

“He was minding his own business walking through a busy city centre street in the middle of the day.

“It’s truly tragic that this happened and a man is going to pay the price for his reckless stupidity.

“One person has lost his life and another has thrown his away in this incident.

“The impact this will have on each of their families is unimaginable.”

Footage released by police shows the moments building up to when Abdelmonim attacked Keany, fatally injuring him.

The victim took several steps before falling to the ground outside Victoria Centre, a popular shopping centre.

Emergency services attempted to save his life but he was pronounced dead at the scene on October 12, 2020.

Davarnnay Parris, 18, was also present at the attack.

He had previously pleaded guilty to possession a knife and possession of cannabis in connection with the incident.

Parris, who was 17 at the time, tried to flee in a taxi but drivers refused him entry so he ran to a nearby bus, police said.

The footage released shows how an officer arrested him just moments after the call had been made to the force.

Parris also denied murder and was handed a conditional discharge after being found not guilty.

DI Wragg added: “While today is a success in terms of the investigation, there is nothing to celebrate.

“The one thing to take away from this is to send a clear message to people who carry knives – if you carry one, you are likely to use it and this is the result.

“If you use it, we will arrest you and you will go to prison, it is as simple as that.”

tidypuborg